decimals without integer part in JSON source text (was: Re: JSON parser grammar)

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Wed Aug 26 14:41:45 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Hallvord R. M. Steen<hallvord at opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:57:11 +0200, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> While the JSON spec itself allows parsers to accept strings outside the
>> standard JSON grammar, the ES5 spec for the JSON object was carefully
>> constructed to give us a validating parser: one that rejects non-JSON
>> text.
>
> Well, I may have suggested a change in the wrong place but the intention was
> to make this legal in JSON text, not to break validation generally.

As I've often said to Crock, one of the most wonderful things about
the JSON spec is that there is no possibility for versioning the spec,
so JSON is done. It is what it is. We're better off living with its
problems than we would be living with versioning problems. The world
would be a much better place if other standards groups had the wisdom
to disband when they were done. (And no, I'm not slyly suggesting that
EcmaScript is done. It's not.)

> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:09:54 +0200, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> The WebKit JSON parser does not allow this (You can test in Safari 4.0.3
>> or a nightly build)
>
> Indeed. As you haven't seen any compat problems so far I'll withdraw the
> suggestion and make sure we (Opera) follows the spec as-is, hopefully the
> Gecko and IE teams will fix it too :)

Good, thanks. We should be sure to include such tests in the
to-be-official EcmaScript test suites we're accumulating. Might help
encourage conformance ;).

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM