Initial ECMA formated ES5 draft available

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Sun Aug 23 20:20:09 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <
> Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>> I don't think you want be to revert the host object related changes, do
>> you?
>>

> Yes I do. That's exactly the issue. The important point is #2.c from:
> <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es5-discuss/2009-August/003140.html>.

After a long discussion with Allen, in the interests of remaining done, I am
dropping my objection. I expect typeof to remain a mess. Having failed to
achieve consensus in a timely matter on how to fix it, I am now in favor of
leaving it alone.

The really good news is that, as of ES5, [[Class]] testing does become
reliable. Even in ES3R, [[Class]] testing is already pleasingly reliable. We
should encourage code to switch from typeof testing to [[Class]] testing
when practical.

--
   Cheers,
   --MarkM