The precise meaning of "For each named own enumerable property name P of O"

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 12 14:33:52 PDT 2009

ES5 section 12.6 (for-in statement) says:

The mechanics and order of enumerating the properties (step 6.a in the first algorithm, step 7.a in the second) is not specified. Properties of the object being enumerated may be deleted during enumeration. If a property that has not yet been visited during enumeration is deleted, then it will not be visited. If new properties are added to the object being enumerated during enumeration, the newly added properties are guaranteed not to be visited in the active enumeration.

ES3 says pretty much the same thing with minor wording tweaks.