ES Decimal status

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Sep 24 09:19:58 PDT 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

>> I would agree with Waldermar that it is a serious problem. Not so
>> much
>> for literals as for values that end up with varying numbers of
>> trailing zeroes depending on how they were computed, even though they
>> are numerically the same. Certainly it seems it would make arrays
>> unusable for someone trying to use decimal numbers only.
>
> All I can say is that is has never been a problem in languages such as
> Rexx and EXEC 2 which have had exactly that behaviour for almost 30
> years.
> I do not recall a single problem report about that behavior.

I'm not familiar with Rexx, but my cursory reading of the Wikipedia
article on it seems to indicate Rexx does not have arrays, but rather
"compound variables" which have a different behavior and syntax. It
seems to say that stem.1.0 implies simulation of a multidimentional
array, not an array index with more precision (and similarly stem.
1.0.0). It also seems that stem..1 would not refer to the same
location as stem.0.1 (perhaps it is a syntax error?).

I'm sure you know way more about Rexx than I do, but from basic
research it seems that its array-like feature does not look or act
like ECMAScript arrays, so I am not sure the experience is relevant. I
think most people would expect behavior more like C or Java or Perl or
Python arrays than like Rexx compound variables.

Regards,
Maciej