use decimal

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Sep 18 17:13:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:

> -0 and 0 are not the same "given floating point number". 1/-0 vs. 1/0 and
> Math.atan2(-0,0) vs. 0,0 are but two examples.

Yes, I understand their operational difference. Whether that difference
means they are not the same number depends on how you define "number". I
would have defined "representing the same number" by correspondence to the
reals. YMMV.

In any case, my question is, does there exist any similar operational
difference between decimal floating point values that are considered to be
in the same cohort? If not, then I back Sam's proposal without
compareTotal().

--
Cheers,
--MarkM