use decimal

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Sep 17 13:55:13 PDT 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

> It may be best to defer decimal to Harmony so we can try some
> experiments and have more confidence.

Absolutely agree (someone added es-discuss to the cc: list already). See

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-August/007136.html

which led to many followups and different discussions. In all of
those messages, I do not recall reading why decimal can't wait for
Harmony.

It's not that we wouldn't "just take decimal" if it dropped into 3.1
without slipping 3.1's schedule, but I don't see how that is possible
simply in terms of spec production. Getting feedback from significant
numbers of users based on Sam's open-source implementation also looks
like it will take more than a few months, and if this user feedback
must come before spec production, then we are doubly out of time for
decimal in 3.1.

This doesn't mean the pace of implementation should slow down. Sam,
I'm still keen on reviewing your patch for SpiderMonkey. It may not
make Firefox 3.1 (I think it could) but it should get into automated
proto-Firefox builds that people can test.