Ye olde arguments argument (was: Topic list - pending changes and issues for the ES3.1 spec)

William Edney bedney at technicalpursuit.com
Mon Sep 15 15:37:47 PDT 2008

Brendan -

On Sep 15, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> I agree with Mark about callee. Just say no, if we can wean folks off
> of it.

Easier said than done. Not impossible (well, nothing's impossible),
but its very problematic.

There's a number of use cases given earlier on this thread. Here's
another one:

myElem.addEventListener('click', function () { doSomething();
this.removeEventListener('click', arguments.callee, false)}, false);

Could I do an assignment of the handler? Sure, but syntactically
suboptimal, IMHO.

Having said that, I was under the impression that ES-3.1 ('strict' or
not) changes were going to be purely additive and that we were going
to be waiting until ES-Harmony to start the more wrenching changes to
the language (modulo out-and-out bugs in the ES3 spec from '99 - I
would expect those to be 'fixed' in 3.1). Am I wrong here?

> Stack backtracing deserves a separate thread.

Agreed - although I would like to term this 'stack access', denoting
more than just 'backtracing' capability :-). Also, this information
should be available in any context, not just in an exception handler.
Of course, I realize that I'm on the other end of the spectrum from
the minimalists here :-).

Cheers,

- Bill