Ye olde arguments argument (was: Topic list - pending changes and issues for the ES3.1 spec)

erik.arvidsson at gmail.com erik.arvidsson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 19:39:39 PDT 2008

> (Actually, it looks like our current debug compile inserts it's own
> annotation to maintain a backtrace. So apparently we don't _have_ to
> have arguments.callee.)

We serve optimized, obfuscated code to our users and if we get a
runtime error we post the stacktrace to the server. This is crucial
for ensuring high quality applications. Serving debug code is not
really an option. I agree that for debug mode you don't need to be
able to get the caller but if you are debugging you are usually better
of using a debugger anyway.

> On Sep 12, 2008, at 8:08 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> Great -- good to have library authors / maintainers on this list.
>>
>> I hold no brief for callee. The only issue in its favor is the cost of
>> migrating to strict mode. A new version of Prototype that loses
>> internal arguments.callee uses and is otherwise compatible helps.
>>
>> Dojo and other Ajax folks on the list, please pipe up.
>>
>> / be

erik