ECMAScript 3.1 (and Harmony) for dummies

Keryx Web webmaster at keryx.se
Fri Sep 12 07:57:57 PDT 2008

Hi

I am in charge of developing DOM Scripting courses on behalf of the Web
Standards Project Educational Task Force[1].

Our first courses should be launched in the spring of 2009 and probably
no college or university will begin with the DOM Scripting courses. They
will probably first be put to use in 2010.

By then we will have a significant share of browsers implementing most
of ES 3.1 (right...?) and these courses will probably have a lifespan of
a few years in addition to that. I am therefore trying to be forward
looking in competencies students should get.

What I've not seen anywhere is a nice wrap-up of what is going to be
included in ES 3.1. There are some bits and pieces floating around on
blogs and this list - and of course the spec. But that weighs in at 225
pages. Is anyone in the process of writing some kind of "for dummies"
aka executive abstract or presentation on ES 3.1? If so, please let me know.

Also, if anyone could take a look at my planning from a ES 3.1/Harmony
POV that would be appreciated.

Lars Gunther

1.
http://www.webstandards.org/2008/05/16/edutf-report-highlights-curriculum-project/