Function.prototype.bind

Neil Mix nmix at pandora.com
Thu Sep 11 07:08:18 PDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 2:39 AM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> This is why we have an insecure web. This attitude does a disservice
> users. We are language designers; we should design, not roll over to
> accomodate the frightful code of every web developer who exploited
> obscure corner cases in the spec.

Sorry David, but this is exactly backwards.  If user Jane, mother of
3, who doesn't know the first thing about "JavaScript" or how the web
works, visits a web page that works in browser A but breaks in browser
B, then she'll think browser B is broken, thus she'll see browser B as
an inferior product.  This is the competitive force that drives
backward compatibility requirements in the web browser marketplace.  I
wouldn't call it "rolling over to accommodate...every web developer,"
it's more of a kind and gracious accommodation of the real customer,
the browser user.