Function.prototype.bind

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Sep 10 18:37:27 PDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 6:21 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> Mark S. Miller wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Brendan Eich
>> <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm willing to rename Function.apply, but let's talk some more
>>> about the
>>> better name, and about why it matters.
>
> Actually now that I think about it, there is an easy fix:
>
>   Function.apply = <original Function.prototype.apply>;
>
> Then use Function.apply.call(callable, thisobj, argsarray).

Sure -- I've shown various apply.call formulations. The point is to
have a standard method not in the (a) mutably-bound and (b) long-
winded Function.prototype.apply property.

If we want to do nothing (for ES3.1 this seems like the right thing,
I agree with Mark), we can say "DIY" and paste your message above.
But you were in favor of adding something to ES3.1 for shorter-and-
more-secure callable apply, or so I thought.

Still thinking about spread and named-this-parameter superseding
apply in Harmony....