Topic list - pending changes and issues for the ES3.1 spec

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Tue Sep 9 09:21:50 PDT 2008

The following note is just my attempt to capture a set of reminders of
topics discussed during today's ES3.1 phone call that need to be
discussed on the lists. I'm unfortunately very busy this week, but
each of the top level topics here needs explanation and discussion. I
hope to clarify soon.

I still need to spec Function.prototype.bind in our funny spec language.
    Anyone care to contribute a draft?
What should be the rules for coercing non-object 'this' values?
How to restrict 'arguments' in strict functions?
    anticipation of ES-H-strict -- prohibit co-existence with splat
    arguments.callee
    joining? frozen?
How should strict prohibit unspecified but unsafe ES3+R methods?
    arguments.caller, Function.arguments, Function.caller
    Proposal: spec that these throw in a strict function.

Lots of issues in getting versioning/opt-in right and future-proof.
Propose as focus of ES3.2 effort.
    "Use at-least ES3.1" means something quite different from "use
at-most ES3.1".
    Should strict still allow the CH16 exemption? Do we need a "use conformant"?

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM