Sugar

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:13:09 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:

[snip]

>> For example, if it is definitely known that
>> macros and/or meta-programming is unanimously off the table by those
>> with a vote then it would save a lot of energy.
>
> Why not discuss these or other "future" topics if you have the interest?
> This is es-discuss, it's not targeted only at near-term discussions.

Excellent point. I suppose some folks might be confused about what is
up for discussion now and what is for future versions and investing
energy hoping to get features into the next version.

----

If real macros are not ready for ECMAScript prime time then I'm glad
meta-programming is not on the table for the next major edition.
Better to wait and do it right. Adding built-in sugar (that could
otherwise be macros) for the most painful points is a better
intermediate fix, I think.

Peter