Hoisting behaviour of 'const' and 'let'

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Oct 12 10:47:58 PDT 2008

On Oct 12, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:07 AM, David-Sarah Hopwood
> <david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk> wrote:
>>     * if 'const' has the same hoisting behaviour as 'let', then we
>>       don't need a separate 'let const'.
>
> Indeed. "let const" is long dead. Someone needs to clean up the wiki.

There's no strawman:* page talking about "let const", and several
recent posts reiterated its demise. But you're right that
proposals:block_expressions still talks about "let const".

Rather than edit the proposals:* section of the wiki I propose we
ignore it for now. Instead of breaking links into the wiki, I will edit

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php

to move the link to the ES4 proposals:proposals page down to "Known
obsolete", or just remove it (and the "Known obsolete" section). I
will remove the feature_specs, discussion, spec, and ri lines too.
That will leave

The 'strawman' namespace is intended to hold Harmony proposals prior
to approval.
The 'harmony' namespace is intended to hold proposals on the “ES-
Harmony” language.
The 'meetings:' namespace is for posting meeting agendas, minutes,
schedules, etc.
The 'clarification:' namespace is intended to capture high-level
issues that need clarification.
The 'resources:' namespace is for uploading papers or listing pointers
to external sites of interest to the work of this group.
The 'es3.1:' namespace is for the “maintenance of es3” work
The 'ses:' namespace is for the Secure ECMAScript work

Not perfect, just a good start. I doubt anyone will object, but here's
a quick proposal before I dispose (tomorrow).