Boolean objects in conditionals

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Nov 28 20:43:18 PST 2008

On Nov 28, 2008, at 7:54 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The big lesson here is EIBTI
>
> The class sugar discussion in the last few days didn't seem to go too
> far but I was thinking about EIBTI in relation to "this". Automatic
> variables like "this" and "arguments" are quite uncomfortable. For the
> example of a point class, what about
>
> class Point (self, x, y) {

That formal parameter list doesn't match the actual arguments supplied
to the constructor.

>  // ...
> }
>
> Has this idea been kicked around for ES classes?

Mark M. sketched an idea for lexical "this" where the declarative
syntax went something like:

class C(x,y) {
     private self {
         function m1(a,b) { /* use "self" to denote receiver */ ... }
         function m2(c)   { /* ditto */ ... }

I may have misremembered, but Mark will follow up if so. This was
during a discussion of private vs. public.