Opt-out schemes for ECMAScript 3.1

Tobie Langel tobie.langel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 15:02:10 PST 2008

Hi,

I was just looking at the proposed implementation of JSON (which
apparently is already implemented in IE 8 beta 2[1]).

This implementation actually differs pretty much from Douglas
Crockford's original reference implementation[2].

Prototype's JSON implementation was mapped on the original one (but
avoided extending Object.prototype for obvious reasons[3]) and method
names were changed (from toJSONString to toJSON) to avoid conflicting
with it should it become part of the standard...

I know it's most probably too late now to do anything about it, but
I'm surprised that this hasn't been taken into consideration when the
specs were designed.

Any suggestions on how we should handle this ? And how this should be
handled in the future so innovation isn't sniffled by the fear of
possible conflicts with a possibly upcoming native implementation ?
(FWIW, a good deal of what is making it's way into ES 3.1--
Function.prototype.bind, Array.prototype.forEach and friends, etc.--
was popularized, if not created by JS libraries.)

Best,

Tobie
(disclosure: I'm part of the Prototype Core Team)

---
[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/09/10/native-json-in-ie8.aspx
[2] http://json.org/json.js
[3] http://erik.eae.net/archives/2005/06/06/22.13.54/