The name JSON.stringify

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 17 00:01:47 PST 2008

On Nov 16, 2008, at 11:57 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:

> The name "JSON.stringify" seems a little too "Web 2.0" cool to me.

Hardly. It's hacker dictionary material, old sk00l.

> Is
> there any reason a more usual and serious sounding option like
> "serialize" was not used?

Ugh, Web 1.0 my-first-Java-serializable-implementation anti-nostalgia
vapors.

> Both are nine characters. I think there is a
> marketing issue here elevating JavaScript from a "toy language".
> Although that concept has been decreasing there is no need to
> encourage it.

The very good reason not to mess with stringify or parse is that
json2.js has already shipped, and we are pre-empting its global
property name "JSON". Object-detecting scripts that conditionally
include or eval json2.js will fail if we don't workalike.