Kona [[Getter]] and [[Setter]] descriptions

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 11:10:48 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I think the connection is commonly expected so that possibility should be acknowledge but also emphasized as not being required. Would you concern about implying some implicit maintenance of state  be alleviated if [[Getter]] said "called to produce" rather than "called to return"?

If the connection between [[Getter]] and [[Setter]] is clearly
indicated to be "not necessary" then I think that is ok (but
unnecessary.) The names "Getter" and "Setter" make the connection but
perhaps a explicit note that there is no necessary connection is a
good idea.

Yes "produce" seems much better.

How about...

[[Getter]]  A zero-argument function called to produce the property
value each time the property read.

 [[Setter]]  A one-argument function called with the assigned value
each time the property is assigned. The effect of a property's
[[Setter]] function may, but is not required to, affect the value
produced by subsequent calls to the property's [[Getter]] function.

> In general, I think the descriptive text in these tables need to be considered as informative rather than normative. The normative definitions of the getters and setters is provided by the algorithms of the specifications. Overall, I don't this document (and its predecessors) does a very good job at clearly distinguishing the informative from the normative.

I thought these descriptions might be non-normative but it is not
stated. I agree that the descriptions should be marked as
non-normative.

Peter