Should host objects be able to have [[Class]] "Function", "Array" etc.?

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 23:38:32 PST 2008

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Specifically, we expose a "filter" property on CSSStyleDeclaration, in
> support of the SVG filter CSS property. However, many sites test for
> "filter" to detect support for MSIE's proprietary "filter" property,
> which sadly has the same name but completely incompatible syntax. Thus,
> we return this kind of magical undetectable string so if tests don't
> detect us as IE.

If "many" sites are relying on the proprietary IE semantics, then it's
a bug in the CSSStyleDeclaration API that it has incompatible semantics.
Magical oddball strings won't fix this problem -- the correct long-term
fix is to rename the SVG 'filter' property so that it doesn't clash
with something that is incompatible and already widely used.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood