destructuring in formal parameters?

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:08:46 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> IIRC formal parameter destructuring was Harmonious when I presented it in
>>> July.
>>
>> Is there a published list of things which are considered "harmonious"?
>
> You asked last time and I answered:
>
> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-August/007013.html
>
> The only changes since then have been visible on es-discuss -- mainly
> lambda, lexical scope, and the agreement to use an unambiguous bottom-up
> grammar, which rules out expression closures as proposed (and implemented).
>
> The http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:strawman is the place to
> look.

As far as I understand, the things on the strawman pages could have no
chance of ever making it into the next major revision of ES. I was
hoping for a place I could go for a periodically updated summary of
the things generally considered harmonious. I thought between the time
I asked previously and now that sort of page may have appeared.

>> I'm particularly curious how lambdas have be received by the technical
>> committee members after the long discussions and also classes as
>> sugar.
>
> I missed the last TC39 meeting, but the reaction on the list from Mark
> Miller has been positive (indeed, instrumental in the case of lambdas).

Great.

Peter