Draft of Function.prototype.bind.

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 17:11:26 PST 2008

Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2008, at 10:52 AM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
>
>> Brendan Eich wrote:
>>> We'll make regexps non-callable in a future release whose numbering
>>> allows us to break compatibility for all the users who may be relying on
>>> this JS extension.
>>
>> What's wrong with that release being the one that first supports ES3.1
>> (so that in ES3.1, native objects are callable iff they are functions)?
>
> Maybe. Let's finish ES3.1 first.

You can always remove callable regexps before ES3.1; my point was that
at least one technically incompatible release will be needed in order
to support ES3.1.

>> There will be other minor incompatibilities that are required by ES3.1,
>> so it seems as though that release will have to be one "whose numbering
>> allows [you] to break compatibility".
>
> Where are the ES3.1 incompatibilities vs. ES3 summarized?

Annexes D and E of the Kona draft.

Also, any addition of a property (of one of the built-in objects) or a
global (such as 'JSON') is a theoretical incompatibility, since it would
have been possible to write code that depended on the non-existance of
that property or global.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood