Proposed change to typeof

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Nov 6 07:57:22 PST 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2008, at 7:52 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> ES3.1 is premised on accepting these dynamics, being originally
>> conceived as "ES3 + reality".
>>

>> I have heard this repeated many times. I'm not sure where this
>> comes from, but that has never been the sole conception of ES3.1 by
>> the people advocating it or working on it.
>
> I'm not sure what your goal is in establishing disagreement. Note, I
> said "originally conceived", meaning I accept that it has now
> expanded to encompass a limited set of brand new features as well.
>
> My point was only to straighten out the history. Oft repeated
> statements, not corrected, tend to become the history of record. I
> do not mean to imply there is any current disagreement on the
> nature, goals, or importance of ES3.1. In fact, I am ecstatic that
> we have no such disagreements.
>
> On the history, ES3+Reality was and is certainly one of the
> important goals of ES3.1. I had also not meant to imply otherwise. I
> am trying to correct the impression I've heard repeated many times
> that ES3.1 was originally conceived as "only ES3+Reality". If that
> isn't what you meant, my apologies for directing this correction at
> you.

As far as I know, I first heard the phrase from ES3.1 proponents. I
have not generally repeated it because it did not sound like a very
useful statement of principles, except in this case to establish that
reality is an important goal. I do not know what back-in-the-day ES3.1
proponents meant by the phrase, or whether they meant "only". My
intention was only to quote, not to establish the true meaning of the
phrase, whether it implied "only", or whether it was in fact accurate
as a catchphrase. It is my best recollection that this phrase was
coined in advocacy of ES3.1.

Regards,
Maciej