Proposed change to typeof

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Nov 6 07:26:37 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2008, at 7:52 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> ES3.1 is premised on accepting these dynamics, being originally conceived
>> as "ES3 + reality".
>>

> I have heard this repeated many times. I'm not sure where this comes from,
> but that has never been the sole conception of ES3.1 by the people
> advocating it or working on it.
>

> I'm not sure what your goal is in establishing disagreement. Note, I said
> "originally conceived", meaning I accept that it has now expanded to
> encompass a limited set of brand new features as well.

My point was only to straighten out the history. Oft repeated statements,
not corrected, tend to become the history of record. I do not mean to imply
there is any current disagreement on the nature, goals, or importance of
ES3.1. In fact, I am ecstatic that we have no such disagreements.

On the history, ES3+Reality was and is certainly one of the important goals
of ES3.1. I had also not meant to imply otherwise. I am trying to correct
the impression I've heard repeated many times that ES3.1 was originally
conceived as "only ES3+Reality". If that isn't what you meant, my apologies
for directing this correction at you.

--
   Cheers,
   --MarkM