Proposed change to typeof

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Nov 6 06:46:14 PST 2008

Hi Mark,

On Nov 5, 2008, at 7:52 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
> ES3.1 is premised on accepting these dynamics, being originally
> conceived as "ES3 + reality".
>

> I have heard this repeated many times. I'm not sure where this comes
> from, but that has never been the sole conception of ES3.1 by the
> people advocating it or working on it.

I'm not sure what your goal is in establishing disagreement. Note, I
said "originally conceived", meaning I accept that it has now expanded
to encompass a limited set of brand new features as well. My point was
to stress that reality is and always has been a goal, not that other
things aren't. I hope you do not mean to deny that reality is a goal
at all.

Like Brendan, I recall ES3.1 advocates using this phrasing at the
January 2008 meeting. At the time, much less was on the table in terms
of object model extensions, and IBM's vote had not yet been bought by
adding decimal. That doesn't mean the scope can't change. After all,
we are all ES3.1 advocates now, and we all agree to some modest
extensions.

> So can we please now put this rumor to rest? Thanks.

I heard this phrasing first hand from some of the core ES3.1 people at
the time. I don't think it is rumor-mongering to repeat it,
particularly in the past tense. If the phrase did not really line up
with the goals of the core ES3.1 group even then, the fault is not mine.

Regards,
Maciej