Proposed change to typeof

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 17:40:30 PST 2008

Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2008, at 1:42 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
>
>> Of course not. In this case we were talking about a case in which IE
>> and Opera do not implement an extension, and follow the existing standard
>> more closely in their implementations of 'typeof'.
>
> Yes, I know, but the particular case involving an extension in two
> browsers out of four does not prove the lack of web-breaking.

Why not? If a particular site already breaks on IE and Opera, why should
we be overly concerned if it also breaks on a future version of Firefox?

When developers write JS that isn't portable between browsers because it
ignores standards, there's no reason why they should have any confidence
that it will be portable to future versions of the same browser, either.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood