Proposed change to typeof

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 5 16:18:23 PST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 1:42 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> Of course not. In this case we were talking about a case in which IE
> and Opera do not implement an extension, and follow the existing
> standard
> more closely in their implementations of 'typeof'.

Yes, I know, but the particular case involving an extension in two
browsers out of four does not prove the lack of web-breaking.

> Why would anyone use callable regexps in the non-IE path of an "isIE"
> test, but not in the IE path? To do that they would have to:

You haven't read a lot of web JS, I can tell :-/.

You've already heard from Maciej and me on this: we would not remove
callable regexps without a lot of testing, more than the typeof issue
requires (since we've been through release cycles with typeof changes).