A random collection of ES4 draft spec surprises and thoughts

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Mon May 26 11:58:52 PDT 2008

I can answer two more :)

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:
> * What does the "var" attribute mean inside an object literal?

See Lars's "ES4 stable draft: Object initializers":
  https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es4-discuss/2008-April/002668.html

> * Why does the grammar allow function calls in
> LeftHandSideExpressions. For example, what's the meaning of
>
>    foo(a)++
>
> ?

As far as I know, this is unchanged from ES3, in which "functions are
permitted to return References" but "This possibility is admitted
purely for the sake of host objects. No built-in ECMAScript function
defined by this specification returns a reference and there is no
provision for a user-defined function to return a reference.":
  http://bclary.com/2004/11/07/#a-8.7
and an implementation that doesn't hold with such nonsense is also
allowed to reject "foo(a)++" as a syntax error:
  http://bclary.com/2004/11/07/#a-16

-j