grammar update

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Mar 31 16:01:09 PDT 2008

On Mar 31, 2008, at 1:24 PM, Jeff Dyer wrote:

> On 3/31/08 10:33 AM, Lars Hansen wrote:
>
>> I disagree that 'enum' should be reserved in ES4.  E262-3 ch 16 is
>> explicit in allowing syntactic extensions and it appears that
>> Opera and
>> Firefox do not reserve 'enum', suggesting that 'enum' is not in
>> use on
>> the public web.
>
> I don't remember why we decided to add 'enum' to ReservedIdentifiers.
> Perhaps it was sympathy with the other three. Perhaps Brendan will
> remember.

At one point we were entertaining an enum proposal based on JScript.NET:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=proposals:enumeration_type

Old Firefox and Mozilla browsers would reserve, but we unreserved
'enum' and the rest a while ago (Firefox 1.5? I forget), instead
making any use of one of these words cause a strict warning.