complexity tax

David Teller David.Teller at univ-orleans.fr
Thu Mar 27 04:06:02 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 08:23 -0700, Douglas Crockford wrote:
> The difficulties we have had in the development community since 1999
> were not due to over-minimization. They were due to features that did not work
> as expected or reliably over the various brands and versions.

In my experience, the main problem with JS was the impossibility of
extending it. That is, no notion of libraries and no built-in
pre-processor (although reflexivity could be used for similar purposes).
A consequence was that any extension deemed important by the developers
of a browser had to be bolted-on in non-specified manners.

Now, all the features I see en ES4 are nice (my favorite being the
hybrid type system, although type inference is going to be a heck to
design and implement) and I can see myself using most of them, but I
would have been content with just the addition of libraries and
pre-processor.

Cheers,
 David
--