complexity tax - mobile devices - Microsoft + Adobe tools + future browsers

ToolmakerSteve98 toolmakersteve98 at shawstudio.com
Wed Mar 26 14:56:11 PDT 2008

"Ric Johnson" wrote:
>>I wrote:
>>> Javascript and Flash and a Silverlight language that was powerful enough
>>> to also use server side a la Java.
>>>
>>> Does such a language need to be as extensive as ES4? Probably not.
>
>um... You mention the solution in your question: Silverlight.
>
>IMHO, it is Microsoft attempt to allow C# in the browser, work like
>flash, and you can write server side code.
>
>Silverlight may not be as broad based as Javascript right now, but it
>does have Microsoft behind it.

Exactly. And rather than continue the split between Microsoft and other
alternatives, I am hunting for common ground, at least at the language
level.

I currently intend to target Microsoft CLR-based mobile devices; i.e.
Silverlight. When I took a close look at Action Script 3 in Flash Player 9,
I realized that Flash finally had a language powerful enough to fit in with
my plans, as an alternate platform. This lead me to this proposed ES4 work.
I believe it would be a huge win for everyone (even Microsoft IMHO, though
that is not the conclusion that Microsoft members of this discussion have
reached), if these three important pillars all supported a common, powerful
language:
1) Silverlight and other .NET platforms, including server side;
2) Adobe's web design tools, currently dominant in the marketplace;
3) Browsers' client side language; e.g. Javascript "2".

I am putting together a toolset that bridges .NET & Silverlight development
tools with Adobe's tools. I've decided to do a proof-of-concept for a given
scope of language, specifically using type-inference technology in F# to
provide a statically-type-bound compilation of a subset of ES4. I hope to
demonstrate high performance and compactness when targeting CLR, both on
Silverlight, and on Windows Server running ASP.NET. And compatibility with
Flash 9, and the proposed ES4.

The goal is a total solution that builds on current and future work by both
Microsoft and Adobe, as well as possible future browsers, once someone makes
a Tamarin/ES4 plug-in for Firefox.

~TMSteve