complexity tax - Addendum

ToolmakerSteve98 toolmakersteve98 at shawstudio.com
Wed Mar 26 13:10:18 PDT 2008

I wrote:
> From my perspective, this is about:
> . Flash; Silverlight; Java (client side).
>
> Three major approaches requiring large plug-ins to provide a rich
> environment. Notably all three approaches have languages substantially
> beyond Javascript. As a toolmaker, I would love to see convergence between
> Javascript and Flash and a Silverlight language that was powerful enough
> to also use server side a la Java.
>
> Does such a language need to be as extensive as ES4? Probably not.
>
> Is this more urgent than the topics Douglas mentions? That seems worthy of
> more discussion.

I want to add that one factor is what different people/companies are
motivated to do. Since there is currently momentum to pin down an advanced
language, I figure it is worth not interfering with that momentum. Let the
current process go to completion, so that we have something specific to poke
at.

Given the [literally] global ramifications of adopting ES4, it might then
make sense to pause, rather than seeking a vote on adoption. Spend time with
ES4 implementations; grapple with security and other pressing concerns. Make
at least one straw proposal for deferring some features.

~TMSteve