complexity tax

ToolmakerSteve98 toolmakersteve98 at shawstudio.com
Wed Mar 26 12:56:41 PDT 2008

"Douglas Crockford" wrote:

> Brendan Eich wrote:
>> 2) competition from other
>> languages in runtimes vying to displace the browser.
>
> I can't make sense of your point about competition.

>From my perspective, this is about:
. Flash; Silverlight; Java (client side).

Three major approaches requiring large plug-ins to provide a rich
environment. Notably all three approaches have languages substantially
beyond Javascript. As a toolmaker, I would love to see convergence between
Javascript and Flash and a Silverlight language that was powerful enough to
also use server side a la Java.

Does such a language need to be as extensive as ES4? Probably not.

Is this more urgent than the topics Douglas mentions? That seems worthy of
more discussion.

Best Regards, ~TMSteve