ES4 draft: the global object

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:42:38 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Erik Arvidsson
<erik.arvidsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Take Object.prototype.eval, for example. Nobody uses that much
> > anymore. If it's removed from Mozilla, probably some pages will break,
> > but not that many. Most people know better than to use that. I'm
> > surprised it's been hanging around in for so long.
>
> Most people don't know about Object.prototype.eval and it was only available
> in Spidermonkey.  That is why no one relied on it.

It is true that that is an old feature and one that didn't catch on as
much as escape/unescape. IT did get a fair amount of use c1999, where
scripts would have code for IE using document.all and netscape using
document.eval.

Nobody does that anymore. It is evidence of a feature that was
deprecated and has now been removed in Firefox 3.

WRT escape, that has seen much less use lately. All the libraries are
using encodeURIComponent and they don't even have a fallback for
escape(). In fact, I don't see escape as being a property of the
global object in ES4. Is it in the draft?

Garrett