ES4 draft: the global object

Erik Arvidsson erik.arvidsson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 07:50:44 PDT 2008

Deprecation does not really buy you anything.  Most people will never know
something is deprecated and even if they do, they will most likely continue
to use it. (Take escape and unescape as example.)

Yes, it would be nice to have a Uri class but that can be implemented by
libraries and eventually become part of the defacto standard libraries.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:12, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are some global functions that I think should be deprecated and
> moved to a relevant class.
>
> encodeURIComponent et al have nothing to do with the Global object.
>
> Same with isNaN, isFinite.
>
> These should be deprecated and moved to the appropriate object. In the
> case of encodeURIComponent, that would be a URI object, and ideally
> one that would encapsulate useful behavior (not a mishmash of static
> methods, e.g. Math).
>
> Garrett
>
> 2008/3/12 Lars Hansen <lhansen at adobe.com>:
> > Enclosing Draft 1 of the global object spec.  Quite a few changes here
> >  from ES3, and I've included a  large expository section on eval that
> may
> >  not be appropriate for the final spec but which is probably useful
> right
> >  now, since it's the first attempt at a unified spec for all the eval
> >  changes that have been proposed.
> >
> >  Probably a few rough edges here, but more than enough to start looking
> >  at.
> >
> >  --lars

erik