Primitives vs. Objects, Ruby-like features

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Mar 24 21:32:30 PDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 8:16 PM, Darryl wrote:

> But the all important problem with your argument,
> Brendan, is that Ruby manages to allow 5.0 to be a
> float, and 5.times to be a method call, without any
> ambiguity. If Ruby can do it, why can't JavaScript?

Please don't ask dumb rhetorical questions.

Obviously we could change JS incompatbily to match Ruby or another
language. Doing so risks breaking some web scripts. Therefore the
change had better be of high value, and in any case it must be done
only with "opt in" versioning. But calling methods on integers is
uncommon, so the value is extremely low.