union type syntax

Peter Hall peter.hall at memorphic.com
Sat Mar 22 03:54:01 PDT 2008

When programmers see a type union expression for the first time, and
are going to intuitively understand "|" to be an operator, which has a
new meaning when applied to types. Programmers routinely use parens
around complex expressions that involve multiple operators, for
readability and to ensure they didn't make a mistake around operator
precedence. But parens are never required in those places, and it
would add an odd asymmetry to the language to require them here.

I vote they are dropped unless there is a compelling technical reason,
related to machine parsing.

Peter