My mental reconciliation of ES4, Adobe's leading web design tools, and Microsoft's best-of-breed developer tools and technologies

ToolmakerSteve98 toolmakersteve98 at shawstudio.com
Fri Mar 21 15:43:43 PDT 2008

Having flamed a bit in the middle of the night, here is the picture in my
mind now of how to mash-up the best of several critical efforts.

1. Microsoft DLR-based implementation of ES4. This needs to exist ASAP.

2. Microsoft server queries client to see if it is either CLR or DLR device.
If so, it has the option of sending precompiled equivalent of the original
ES4-based web application. At web deployment, author has the option of
caching one or both of those representations. Data layer is separate; not
affected by switch to ES4. Business logic and Presentation layers support
ES4 as a language.

3. Global analysis tools for ES4, running on both Microsoft and Adobe tools
platforms, that an author can OPTIONALLY use to:
Find and annotate/rewrite any code that fails to meet specified runtime
specs. E.g., it becomes an authoring decision whether to subset ES4;
statically-type-annotate via global analysis; bound memory requirements on
client; etc.

In this ideal picture, tools by all major vendors cooperate on "having our
cake and eating it too" -- at least at the language level.

I'll see what I can do to promote this outcome.

~TMSteve