Any discussion of "compact" subset for mobile devices?

Michael O'Brien mob at mbedthis.com
Fri Mar 21 00:07:31 PDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 12:00 AM, ToolmakerSteve98 wrote:

>> Why do you believe static typing is necessary for performance? Just
>> curious.
>
> Good question. I have a vague impression that the cache size
> required to
> achieve performance when dynamic typing is significantly larger than
> JIT-ing
> statically typed code. That is, it either cost performance or
> memory, and
> the memory cost became unacceptable. But my thinking developed at a
> time
> when we didn't have so many MBs to throw around. Maybe in an era of
> streaming video, it has become less of an issue.

Static typing does allow the compile phase to do early binding more
easily and
so save lookups. Accesses via an untyped object must do this at the
point of
execution whereas if the object is statically typed, this can be
computed once.
If doing pre-compile - this happens at the development phase.

We see a good reduction in byte code size and in execution time if
using typed object