Any discussion of "compact" subset for mobile devices?

ToolmakerSteve98 toolmakersteve98 at shawstudio.com
Thu Mar 20 22:56:02 PDT 2008

"Lars Hansen" wrote:

> but several companies that participate in the ES4 work are planning to
> ship on small devices.  And they have been participating in
> the work in part to make sure that's possible.

I am very glad to hear that you are pressing for that.

> Anyhow, subsets are pretty pointless on the public web.  An
implementation that wants to play needs to support the full
language.

That's what concerns me. To my mind, the next step in logic execution for
the web should be strongly biased to favor low power low memory devices. We
want complex application logic running on client devices. ALL client
devices. Looking at all the technical approaches that have been tried, what
would give the most bang for the buck?

After a rough look at the size of the language grammar and spec, and
perusing some of the past mail discussions about subtleties in
parsing/analyzing certain constructs -- WHOA - this is stuff we take for
granted on our multi-GHz and GB desktop PCs today, but ES4 would
web-standardize a language that would require every web client to take on
that burden. My gut reaction is that Microsoft has taken a better tack: let
this stuff be resolved at authoring time down to a CLR. Don't burden every
web client device with it.

That's why I ask about "compact" subset. I'm initially skeptical that what
I'm seeing is the right next step for the web. But I think there are a lot
of good ideas here, so I'm working through it, looking for common ground
between stuff I see at Microsoft and stuff I see here.

~TMSteve