Any discussion of "compact" subset for mobile devices?

Lars Hansen lhansen at adobe.com
Thu Mar 20 21:32:33 PDT 2008

I don't know what makes you think it is "a lot", but several
companies that participate in the ES4 work are planning to
ship on small devices.  And they have been participating in
the work in part to make sure that's possible.

I can only speak for Adobe (if I can even do that); we believe
that ES4 will work in browsers on phones.

Anyhow, subsets are pretty pointless on the public web.  An
implementation that wants to play needs to support the full
language.  ECMAScript 3 has a compact profile (no eval, no
Function constructor, and no "with" statement IIRC) but it
has no relevance at all on the web.

--lars