ES4 draft: Object initializers

Lars Hansen lhansen at adobe.com
Thu Mar 20 17:43:05 PDT 2008

Thanks for pointing some of these out, Brendan did the same.  This is
already legal to define catch-alls:

  { var meta::get: function () { ... } }

Ditto for meta::set, meta::has, meta::delete, meta::invoke.  A bit wordy
though, and since it's already in (unless we special-case banish it for
I don't know what good reasons) then we can probably support it with
simple syntax, this is a suggestion:

As for dontenum, IMO use a namespace or a fixture.  (If you're building
a prototype object then presumably you'd like the methods not to be
deletable as well; 'var' or 'const' is a cheap fix in that case.)

As for prototype, we're discussing it.  A possible fix is to allow the
name 'meta::prototype' to be used in the object initializer (only!) to
signify initialization of the prototype.  (You won't be able to read
that value back with the syntax.)

--lars