Any blogs to help orient me re the referenceimplementation?contrasting with F#

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Mar 20 15:22:25 PDT 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 8:54 AM, Lars Hansen wrote:

> We have set aside placeholders for E4X syntax.  How useful this is I
> don't know; the experience with reserving future reserved words in ES3
> has been mostly negative (as a rule programmers don't read specs, and
> when they do, as a rule they ignore the "may be used in the future"
> clauses -- and I don't think they're wrong in doing so).

Generally I agree. Just for the record, the "future reserved words"
reserved Java identifiers. This was done with agreement and a great
deal of spec-writing leadership by Microsoft, but the JScript engine
nevertheless reserved only class, enum, extends, and super (if memory
serves).

Over time, as Netscape went into decline, content grew to use
identifiers such as 'char'. And of course we are contextually
unreserving in ES4 (Firefox 2 / JS1.7 already does this), but it
wouldn't help the 'char' case I recall, where the identifier was a
parameter name.

This tale cautions about several things other than trying to reserve
future syntax, among them the participants in the standard not
following through early in their own products, before conflicts in
the market could emerge.