Any blogs to help orient me re the reference implementation? contrasting with F#

ToolmakerSteve98 toolmakersteve98 at shawstudio.com
Wed Mar 19 14:40:53 PDT 2008

What I know so far is that it is written in ML. And it implements the
current state of the [spec that I can't see much info on, as mentioned in

Wondering if there is any info beyond the source itself that would give me a
"big picture" view of what is there, before I start wandering around in the
depths of the code.

I'm especially interested in the parser. Maybe will be obvious once I start
looking, but might as well learn what I can the easy way. Bottom-up?
top-down? grammar notation used? Based on some pre-existing parser
combinator library?

My immediate goal is to attempt to translate from the preliminary ES4 into
F#, using an extended-PEG metacompiler similar to Rats!. I want to get a
grasp on precisely where this dynamic language deviates in semantics from a
statically typed language using type inference. Well, that will depend on
test sources fed in, but attempting this translation will tell me a lot.

~TMSteve