ES4 draft: Function

Dominic Cooney dominic.cooney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 10:48:56 PDT 2008

Why doesn't Function have something like apply that does the same as
in a new expression, i.e. allocate-init-and-apply? To put it another
way: given arguments in an array, I want to write:

F.thisThing(args) and have it mean the same as new F(args[0], args[1],
... args[n-1])

Or is what happens behind the veil of object creation detailed enough
that I can write a facsimile of it with apply? I guess something like:

var x = {};
x.prototype = F.prototype;
x = F.apply(x, args) || x;

But why force me to guess? No doubt I am wrong.

Dominic