ES4 draft: Error classes

Michael Daumling mdaeumli at adobe.com
Sun Mar 9 09:11:31 PDT 2008

I agree that file and line information is not really sensitive
information. I believe, however, that since the implementation can
choose to provide this information to the Error constructor, the
implementation has full control about whether to provide that
information or not. We (the language designers) only offer a
standardized way to provide this information.

Insofar, I think that your principle is worthy and honorable, but it
does not unconditionally apply to this specific situation.

The sourcecontext idea falls a bit short IMHO. It would be good to have
for a ES4 program throwing the error. But what about all runtime errors,
like RangeError, EvalError and the like? Why would you object to the
ability to display a comprehensive error message to the user - if the
implementation chooses to supply file and line information?

Michael