ES4 draft: Namespace

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Mar 8 21:35:25 PST 2008

On Mar 8, 2008, at 8:58 PM, zwetan wrote:

> do I understand well that E4X will be removed from ES4 ???

Not removed, not included. It's a separate Ecma standard. As I wrote
(you read :-/), the spec is in poor enough shape, and feedback from
our users suggest enough changes, that we didn't want to delay ES4 to
include it.

More important, we do not believe it is proper to mandate E4X support
as a normative part of ES4. ES3 is implemented in very small devices
and used by many other standards. Some of those implementations and
standards have nothing to do with XML.

> this is so wrong i can not even believe it...

What would be wrong is your apparent stance: require all ES3
implementations contemplating ES4 to implement E4X, even if XML is
irrelevant.

Your message goes on to decry the state of XML parsing in browsers,
but E4X is not really an XML parser. It is out of date regarding XML
1.1 and namespaces. It has no provision for streaming (SAX-style
parsing). Its "DOM" duplicates the browsers' DOMs with gratuitous
differences, yet (optionally) requires the two DOMs to be
synchronized. How mandating E4X as part of ES4 would help XML parsing
in browsers is beyond me.