Triple quoted strings

Igor Bukanov igor at mir2.org
Thu Mar 6 03:02:25 PST 2008

On 06/03/2008, Igor Bukanov <igor at mir2.org> wrote:
> On 06/03/2008, Peter Hall <peter.hall at memorphic.com> wrote:
>  > Except that it would have a few unexpected behaviours, especially
>  >  around the & and < characters.
>

> In normal strings and the triple quoted strings one has to escape \ .
>  So what is exactly the point?

Note that I do not advocate adopting ES4 syntax. My point is that in
many cases where multiline strings are desirable from readability
point of view E4X already offers a solution mitigating the need for
yet another multiline syntax.

As regarding the need to escape & and <, the last time I have used the
E4X "multiline strings" was to ebbed JSON literals for testing
purposes (which I have found rather funny). Those literals typically
do not include & and <.

Regards, Igor