Triple quoted strings

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Mar 5 23:24:09 PST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 11:17 PM, Nathan de Vries wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 00:14 +0000, Peter Hall wrote:
>> Except that it would have a few unexpected behaviours, especially
>> around the & and < characters.
>
> What would those unexpected behaviours be? Here document syntax is
> available (and relatively standard) in UNIX shell, PHP, Perl & Ruby.
> Python seems to be the only language that has strayed from the
> traditional syntax, and I'm not entirely sure why ES4 is planning to
> follow suite.

I'm an old Unix hacker, I remember the Bourne Shell (source too, in C-
gol). E4X may have given people the idea that ES4 will add even more
(mis-)appropriated syntax but we aren't doing pipelines or command
substitution. I don't see why we need here documents in all their
glory, although I like and use them.

Triple-quoted strings are simply for embedding quote and newline
characters, verbatim and freely. If no one (including you
Pythonistas) would find them useful then we should defer the proposal.