ES4 draft: Triply quoted string literals

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Mar 5 10:27:30 PST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Lars Hansen wrote:

> Given the apparent lack of enthusiasm for this proposal, and the call
> for a new design voiced in last night's phone conference, I propose
> that
> we simply reject the triply-quoted string proposal.
>
> IMO a minor adjustment to the triply-quoted string proposal to address
> its shortcomings would be reasonable, but I do not think that it is
> appropriate to propose a new, competing design at this time.

I agree, and I certainly wasn't going back to the drawing board. The
only issues AFAIK were

* Do we need this in light of the line continuations support? But
continuations are not enough, and ugly to boot: backslash-escaped
newlines in strings are elided, so there's no newline left as a
character in the string. Triple quoting does give verbatim multiline
string literals where continuations do not.

* Do we want any backslash-escaping other than the quote character in
the string? I said I would check the Python design docs and code.

These were more on the order of doubting the utility of triple-
quoting, and asking whether it matches Python. Not requests for a
brand-new and different spec.