Subset relation (was: RE: ES3.1 Draft: 11 June 2008 version available)

Mark S. Miller erights at
Mon Jun 16 20:09:21 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights at> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Douglas Crockford
> <douglas at> wrote:
>> I agree that it is weird that ES4 wants to retain with, but that in itself does not disturb the superset relationship.
> Before we retreat into less formal notions of subsetting, could
> someone please explain why ES4 wants to retain "with" in ES4 strict
> mode?

Given the silence, I thought it might be worth pointing out:

* "Reformed with" was dropped from ES4 strict because it wasn't enough
less horrible than "with" to be worth it. If "reformed with" isn't
good enough, does anyone think "with" is somehow better than "reformed

* Given Brendan's and Maciej's clarifications, it seems that "with" is
the *only* remaining feature of ES4 strict preventing static scope

If the ES4 folks still wish to include "with" in ES4 strict, perhaps
they can clarify what they see as the purpose of strict mode. Because
I'm completely baffled.